What would you do if your car overheats? Here are some things to keep in mind.
Turn off the air conditioner immediately.
- This will lessen the engine load and bring down its temperature while you find a safe spot to pull over.
Pull over as soon as you can.
- Pull over to a safe location and turn off the engine.
Check the coolant.
- Do not open the hood until the temperature gauge has moved from Hot to Cool. Once it has cooled, check the coolant tank. If it is empty, there may be a leak.
Open the radiator cap.
- Open the radiator cap only when it has cooled down. A hot radiator cap could lead to serious burns or injuries when opened outright. Use a thick rag to protect your hand then fill up the radiator with water or coolant to the brim.
Restart the engine.
- After refilling the radiator, restart the car. This will circulate the water and bring down the engine’s temperature.
If things go back to normal, you can resume your driving/travel. It is recommended to visit your trusted mechanic shop as soon as possible for further troubleshooting and maintenance.